The 10 Best Cold Cereals – The Definitive Guide
Unlike other cereals, cold cereals prepare within seconds. As the name suggests, you don’t have to cook it – just take a bowlful of fiber-packed cold cereal for your breakfast.
Cold cereal is not only a popular morning breakfast at busy times, it also saves time as all you need to do is pour some into your cereal bowl, add some milk and it’s ready to enjoy. It becomes even more nutritious by adding your favorite fruits; a banana or a few strawberries would be a great addition to it.
What is Cold Cereal?
It is a cereal made from grains giving ease of preparation. Manufacturers make it by using different processes such as various grains such as corn, wheat, oats, barley and rice as well as other ingredients such as honey, chocolate and sugar….
These are made by adding flavoring agents, starch with grains and then cooked to add texture. After cooking these are dried, toasted and formed into different shapes. The video below shows how cereal prepares in heavy machines and reaches its final shape.
Different Types of Cold Cereals
There are various cold cereals available these days from various brands. Many of these cereals differ by their ingredients and quality. Many people like cold cereals based on their quality and ingredients. Cold Cereals can become even more delicious by adding your favorite fruit, such as bananas, apples – which not only adds taste but gives you additional nutrition for the day.
Cold cereal lovers have their own specific choice of cereals. Some of the different types of cold cereals are crunchy and puffy cereals. Cereals are processed and mixed with different ingredients and formed into different shapes with added nutrients.
For those who love crunchy foods – there are crunchy cold cereals available for them. Many people think crunchy cereals taste a bit sugary. Think about a crunchy cookie and how it tastes. While it is a cereal, it isn’t just eaten raw; you have to add some milk to enjoy the taste.
Puffy cereals normally come mixed with honey to make it taste delicious. Many people enjoy puffed rice cereals.
Things to Know About Cold Cereal:
It’s good to know what to look for in cold cereal. Here are certain things that could be specified on the cereal box or by manufacturer. In this video below Becca Bristow (Registered Dietitian) explains how to differ healthy cereals with unhealthy ones:
How much sugar it contains:
It is necessary to know how much sugar is in the cold cereal per serving. The less the sugar there is, the better. Because high sugar can give you temporary energy but it crashes the body quickly. It is also easy to find on a cereal box how much sugar is in there. If it is up to 5 to 6 grams of sugar per serving, that is the right one to select.
The Quantity of Whole Grains:
Whole grains are filled with really essential nutrients including; iron, vitamin, phosphorus, sodium, potassium and vitamin B6.
Here are the 10 best cold cereals in this definitive guide. These cereals are low in sugar and high in fiber:
1. GOLEAN Crunch! ‘Cereal Honey Almond Flax’ 14-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 4) by Kashi
- It is a pack of 4.
- This cereal contains honey sweetened 7 grain clusters, sliced and whole flax seeds also.
- It is sweetened naturally by using honey and cinnamon.
- This cereal contains whole grains 15 grams, fiber is 8 grams, protein 9gram and Omega 3s 500 gram per serving.
- It is made in United States of America.
GOLEAN Crunch Honey Almond Flax Cereal 14-Ounce Boxes Pack of 4 by Kashi keeps you satisfied every morning with 2 times more protein and fiber. You would love the crunchy clusters which are made from Kashi Seven whole grains and sesame. These are sweetened naturally by using honey and cinnamon, and then these are toasted to become crunchy.
2. Organic Peanut Butter Panda Puffs Enviropakz, 25-Ounce Bags (Pack of 3) by Envirokidz
- It is a gluten free cereal including peanut butter to give you a great taste of cereal.
- It is USDA Organic Certified, which means these are grown without using any synthetic herbicides, nasty chemicals or pesticides.
Organic Peanut Butter Panda Puffs Enviropakz Pack of 3 by Envirokidz is the gluten-free cornmeal. It is free from any artificial additives, colors or preservatives. It is also great to know that 1% of Envirokidz sales are donated to wildlife and habitat conservation as well.
3. Fiber One Cereal, Original Bran, Whole Grain Cereal (16.2 oz)
- It is delicious low sugar cereal for your morning boost at breakfast.
- It provides healthy nutrition for your whole family.
This cereal is high in fiber and low in sugar. It gives you only 60 calories per serving yet gives you healthy breakfast for morning boost.
4. Heart 2 Heart Clusters Cereal, Oat Flakes and Blueberry, 13.4 Ounce (Pack of 10) by Kashi
- This cereal supports healthy cholesterol.
- It promotes healthy blood pressure.
- Its each serving is high in antioxidant vitamins C and E.
- It provides you with 100 percent daily value of healthy vitamins for your heart, such as Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12 and Folic Acid.
Heart 2 Heart Clusters Cereal Oat Flakes and Blueberry ‘Pack of 10’ by Kashi provides you with combination of crispy oat flakes and crunchy oat clusters which are made with sun sweetened blueberries. It gives you delicious cereal.
5. Organic, Heritage Flakes, Whole Grains Cereal, 13.25-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6) by Nature’s Path
- It is pack of 6 and total 80 oz.
- It is Certified organic and contains kosher ingredients such as: kamut wheat bran, whole wheat meal, smelt flavor and honey.
Organic Heritage Flakes Whole Grains Cereal ‘Pack of 6’ by Nature’s Path is the blend of ancient grains and including wheat, quinoa, barley etc and it is sweetened lightly by using honey.
6. All Bran Cereal, Original, 18.3-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 5)
- It is pack of 5 (18.3 ounces boxes).
- It is natural wheat bran cereal which is sweetened by using sugar.
- Each serving will provide you with 10 grams of fiber.
- It is low in fat and it is a good source of thirteen vitamins and minerals.
- It fulfills 40% of your daily fiber needs.
All Bran Cereal Original ‘Pack of 5’ is wholesome wheat bran cereal and it is a great way to begin your day. It provides you with 4 grams of protein per serving.
7. Weetabix Whole Grain Cereal (14 Ounce)
- This delicious and heart healthy cereal fills your breakfast with fiber.
- It is low in fat as well as USDA certified organic.
The Weetabix cereal is full of nutrition including vitamins and minerals. It has only 2 grams sugar per serving. The nutrients it provides not only are heart healthy; these also give you good amount of fiber.
8. Organic Whole O’s, Gluten Free Cereal, 11.5-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6) by Nature’s Path
- It is USDA Organic Certified and it does not contain any synthetic herbicides, pesticides and nasty chemicals.
- It is pack of 6 (Each box is 11.5 ounces).
Organic Whole O’s Gluten Free Cereal Pack of 6 by Nature’s Path is full of organic corn and the whole grain rice. It is delicious and crunchy. Add some milk or alternatives to enjoy.
9. Alpen Cereal, Original, 14-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6)
- It is an excellent source of fiber and phosphorus for your heart’s health.
- This cereal is low in fat and free of saturated fat.
- It is very low in sodium and it is naturally cholesterol free.
- This cereal does not contain any artificial flavors, preservatives or additives.
- It has combination of twelve vitamins and minerals.
Alpen Cereal Original ‘Pack of 6’ has the great combination of vitamins and minerals and gives you a delicious taste of cereal. It contains nuts, oats and fruits and gives you great start to your day.
10. Organic Heritage Flakes Cereal, 32-Ounce Bags (Pack of 6) by Nature’s Path
- It is pack of 6 (32 ounce bags) which means total of 192 ounces.
- It has 6 grams of dietary fiber, 4 grams protein 10 percent RDA of iron and only 135 mgs of sodium in it.
Organic Heritage Flakes Cereal ‘Pack of 6’ by Nature’s Path uses certified organic corn which does not contain any synthetic pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers. It does not contain genetically engineered seeds or ingredients. It is a fiber rich cereal which keeps you healthy every time.
Health Benefits of Cold Cereals:
For Morning; a healthy breakfast is necessary. It is not always easy to get nutrition from different sources at the same time. Usually when it is a busy morning and you have to reach your office early, a cold cereal will give you essential nutrients including fiber, vitamins and iron without taking much time and you get a good start for your day.
The following are some of the health benefits of cold cereals:
Filled with Whole Grains: We all know whole grains are essential for a healthy life. Unlike most foods prepared or cooked, cold cereals do not require much time and are ready to be served by only adding milk.
It gives you a Breakfast full of Energy: Fibers and iron are essential to give you a morning boost which are primarily nutrients in many cold cereals.
Good for Diabetics: Most of the cereals have low sugars and this way these are good for people suffering from diabetes.
Some of the Best Cold Cereal Brands
There are so many cold cereal brands and if you do not like a brand, check out the list below as they are some best cold cereal brands which would be good for you to try.
Cold Cereal Recipes
Watch this video below to know how easy it is to make a cold cereal:
Common Questions and Answers about Cold Cereals
Does Cold Cereal make you fat?
Not all cold cereals are the same, however many of these are low in calories so, these wouldn’t result in weight gain for you. Make sure the cereals you pick have no more than 200 calories per serving. It is also better to avoid many other things such as extra sugar and sodium.
Is hot cereal better or cold cereal?
Both kinds of cereal are filled with nutrition. People like both kinds of cereal for different reasons. Some people say they prefer cold cereal in hot seasons and hot cereal in cold seasons.
Is cold cereal safe for toddlers?
There are specific cereals for kids, but you still have to make sure there isn’t much sugar in these. There are some best and worst cereals for kids and this article on Forbes explains it well.